Monday, February 7, 2011

Valentine's Day

I realize it's not for another week, and to be honest as a single person....well, let's just say that I'm not really looking forward to it.  Especially because this year, it seemed as though I might actually have someone to spend it with but...that's another story for another day.

I was watching TV tonight and of course, there were all these commercials for Valentine's Day and one of them said something about giving her the best Valentine's Day ever!  Which made me think about the most memorable Valentine's Day I ever had.

It was back in 2000 and I was in India.  I know, I know, its hard to imagine have the best ever V-day in India but I did.  I'd taken a team of 6 girls and we were almost at the end of our 2 month stay there.  Before we left the States, Katlynn (one of my team members) and I had bought a bunch of cards and candy to take with us to celebrate.  We didn't tell the rest of the team because we wanted it to be a surprise.

So the big day arrived and the girls knew we were doing something special but they didn't know what!  We'd also decided to invite the 4 members of the Indian staff that we'd worked with and I'm not sure who was more excited - us or them!  We went to this restaurant on the beach that we'd had coffee house at every Saturday night since our arrival in India.  Katlynn and I went early and arranged the candy and cards and we'd even stopped and bought roses for everyone.  It was the most fun we had our whole trip.  Everyone was so excited - the look on their faces was priceless.  We had a nice dinner and then after dinner, we went around the table and shared all the things that we appreciated about one another.  I'd given them all an assignment that they had to write notes to one another telling the others what they appreciated about them or something to encourage them with!  It  was an incredible time of bonding and I know that each one of us was incredibly blessed by that night - I still have those notes that the girls wrote to me and still put them out on occasion for old times sake!  I also have some really great pictures but unfortunately, that was before I joined the digital era!

After we got back to Denver, we talked about that for a long time.  I mean come on, spending V-day on the beach, with the ocean air and the breeze with waves crashing in the background.....it will take a lot to top that!

So for now, that's the best V-day I've ever had and someday perhaps, I'll be able to share it with that someone special but until that day arrives, I will continue to remember Valentine's Day 2000 fondly.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds amazing my friend. :)Wow, India and the beach...not everyone can say that! That's awesome.
    I understand your feelings about V-day as a single girl as I've only celebrated once with my significant other. every time it was getting close, these feeling of dread mixed with want would surface and I just wanted it to pass quickly without me having to see all these, happy couples gazing into each others' eyes etc... Not fun. I use to to ALWAYS get asked to work since I didn't have a BF. I was like thanks...make me think about it even MORE! I use to try to get off work, get a bottle or 2 of wine and make a date with my BFF Lauri and my sis Emily, OR we'd go out to dinner and a movie together. You know, very own holiday...single awareness day. BOOO! Anyway, I love you and know what's like, and hopefully next year you'll have a hot man by your side with flowers, chocolates, and kisses to boot! ;) Love you

    ReplyDelete