Monday, March 7, 2011

Lent

Lent is almost upon us and most of the people in my circle are preparing to give up something.  Most are giving up things like chocolate, alcohol, sweets, caffeine, Facebook or other forms of media, and so on.  Last year at this time I was preparing to do a complete 40 day fast.  I have to be honest and say that I'm thankful I'm not about to embark on that journey again....although smaller pants was a nice side effect.  Oh, and I still can't stand the smell of chicken noodle soup or broth since that's what I basically lived on...its been a whole year but not sure I can ever go back!

Honestly, it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be and God's grace was really there.  I didn't really struggle until the end and was eating pretty regularly within 3 days or so.  I did hate being cold though.  I don't think I'd ever been so cold in my life.  I really felt like God spoke to me during that time and while it certainly wasn't about what I was fasting for, it was still very valid and meaningful to where I was at that time.  I'm realizing that when I fast I always think its for one thing but God always speaks to me about something totally different.  I've come to expect that!

So I think I know what I'm going to be fasting this time around but am still waiting for a bit of clarification.  Its a personal issue that I've struggled with off and on over the years and I really think God wants to break through in this area of my life, so if you think of me say a prayer.  I'm also praying for some clarification on a word I got a few weeks back.  I'm curious what some of you are fasting.

And last but not least, I have a new follower so I'm up to 8 people now!  Woo hoo...it truly is the little things in life!

1 comment: